During your exam, you can expect:
- A medical history review. The dentist will assess how any new medical conditions or illnesses may affect your dental health.
- An oral examination. Your mouth will be checked for cracked or decayed teeth.
- An oral cancer screening. The face, lips, neck, throat, tongue, and gums will be checked for evidence of oral cancer.
- A gum disease evaluation. The gums and bone around your teeth will be checked for any signs of periodontal disease.
- An examination of existing restorations. Current fillings, crowns, and other restorations are checked to ensure that they remain in good order.
- Digital X-rays when needed. Digital X-rays provide several advanced imaging options designed to save time, provide clearer dental photos, and expose patients to less radiation than with traditional X-ray technology.